Saturday, February 9, 2013

Homeward Bound


A year ago, the planning began to set out on this adventure of a lifetime. I could have never predicted what my time in Cambodia was going to be like. Teaching 17+ ESL students and almost 30 high school math students have consumed my life for the last six months. It’s easy to look back on these last months and think the only thing I’ve learned is that I have no interest in being a teacher. The longer I think, and the deeper I look into my experience, I see that the lessons I have learned stretch much farther than my future career.

             I know I have yet to see some of the effects of my work here, and I know other results I will never see, but I’m keeping my eye on what I can see.

The first day of school, Amber and I greeted our girls with a warm “hello girls,” and Liza was quick to say, “I’m not girls, I’m girl.” Now Liza, only 10 years old, speaks more English than any of the other ESL students. I have taught nineteen 9th graders Pre-Algebra and nine 10th graders Algebra 1, a task that I never thought was possible. Above all, I have taught Buddhist students about Jesus and his unconditional love. Hearing my students talk about Jesus, heaven, prayer, etc. makes me as proud of a teacher as any.

            These last 6 months have been filled with highs and lows, and has challenged every ounce of my being. I have learned to eat tofu, bananas, and oatmeal nearly everyday; three foods that would have never been found in my diet at home. Amber and my small apartment has doubled as a dryer to hang all of our clothes, and a clay pot for filtering water has become our best friend. I have experienced hours of classes, constantly telling my kids to be quiet and sit down, and hours of classes where I could not be more proud to be their teacher. Through the triumphs and struggles, my relationship with God has been growing every step of the way. My trust in God led me to decide to become a SM over a year ago, led me to Cambodia 6 months ago, and now is leading me back to America.

            Cambodia has become my second home, a place that has etched a permanent place in my heart. The homeless kids on the street with their loud “heeeelllooooo” everyday, numerous drawings from the dorm girls, and the sound of laughter from my students will never be forgotten. I will never forget the time that I spent here, as a part of me will always remain here. God has shown himself here, and my prayer is that he will continue to do so even after I am gone.

            Six months ago, I remember telling people how scared I was to leave America. I never would’ve thought I would be scared to leave this second home of mine, but the familiar feeling I experienced back in August is back.  

We would never have made it this far without the support and prayers from everyone worldwide. Cambodia has been a daily reminder of how blessed I am. It’s now time, however, to end one chapter of my life, and begin writing a new one. My prayer is God will continue to guide me, just as he led me to Cambodia. I have learned lessons and grown in ways that I could have only done here, and for that, I am forever grateful. It’s now time to trust God’s calling that He has new lessons and plans for me elsewhere.

 As I did in my decision to come serve in Cambodia, I’m stepping out in faith. This time, however, I’m homeward bound.

No comments:

Post a Comment